That’s a good question and I’m not just asking that to myself, but I know many of you are probably wondering how do you keep focused on the dream when there are so many life distractions. You may have a full time demanding job, a spouse, kids, bills, debt, in school, etc. How can you stay focused through all of that?
- Time management – set aside time out of your day to work on whatever it is that will help you achieve your dreams. There are 24 hours in a day and how you use them is dependent upon you. You make time for the things that matter and what you really want.
- Prioritize – create a list of things that you have going on in your life, they don’t have to be in order at that point. Just write them down and then order them from most important to least important. Your dream should be at the top somewhere, if not number one, then at least number two. Then go from there.
- Set goals – long- and short term goals. What can you do right now that will help you get closer to your goal? As for long term, think about where you want to be a year from now. Most people think long term means the end result but it doesn’t. Long term goals don’t have to be goals you make that you want to achieve a few years from now. The longer time of your long term goal, the more short term goals you will need to make.
- Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today – meaning if you keep saying “I’ll do it tomorrow,” that can turn into two years from now. Once the thought comes into your head, act on it, no matter where you are or what you are doing, act on it or at least write it down so you don’t forget.
- Keep a planner – I have a notebook size planner because I tend to write a lot of things down and need the space as well as to see what I have written. This helps you to keep track of things. Write a few goals on certain dates and then write things you will do to get to that point. It could be as simple as planning out what you are going to do the next day and scheduling things. Seeing it written down helps to stay focused and remember (which I need to get back into the habit of doing that).
- Make a blueprint – make a plan as to how you are going to meet these goals. What steps do you need to take? The first step is the most crucial. Many people don’t even make the first step, and that results in their dreams dying. If you don’t make a plan, how do you think you are going to be able to do anything? How can you travel without a guide or map?
- Create a vision board – vision boards are a constant reminder of what you are working towards. They remind you daily that you need to be working your ass off to make your dreams come true. I will be making one of these soon and I will be posting what it looks like. I will make a video on that process.
It has been a long time since I have written anything as far as my novels go. I have a few novels in the works that I need to finish. One is pretty much done and it is the same one that I talked about last time that I had not finished, but since I am thinking of turning it into a series, then I might just end it where it is, like a cliffhanger.
I hate that I let my focus deter from my main dream of becoming a well known author. I knew as a child that that was what I want to be. As for genres, of course not at that age did I think I would be doing erotica. I knew I wanted to do murder mysteries and I am still going to write those but erotica has my attention.
I can’t believe that I keep losing focus of my goals and dreams. It sucks because when I first started I was so focused and that was all I was doing in my spare time: writing and editing. I’ve lost sight of everything for the past year and I hate that. When you are trying to live life and get things in order, you lose sight of your dreams because you’re so preoccupied with everything else like bills and work and everything that does not involve your goals.
I used to be so goal oriented and every waking moment was spent writing when I was not working. Of course Naturale Body is another one of my goals and aspirations, but I have to make writing of parallel importance to that.
Today, I went to Barnes & Noble to work because I notice that I work better when I am outside of the house. It forces me to work and there are no distractions. Take some of these steps, if not all, to achieve your dreams.