Americans consume on average 630 lbs of dairy each year. The article is a little outdated but I am sure the numbers have increased over the past 5 years. With that, Americans also consume 185 lbs of meat per year. These number are alarming, considering that this is per person, not as in a total. Do you know essential the effects that meat and dairy have on the brain and it’s functions? No? Let me explain.
It’s ironic that we are told that milk gives us calcium and builds strong bones, when in fact our bodies barely absorb any calcium and milk depletes bone mass. Also, before the advancement of technology, milk used to be drunk raw.
Nowadays, milking cows are given antibiotics and most are also injected with a genetically engineered form of bovine growth hormone (rBGH). A man-made or synthetic hormone used to artificially increase milk production, rBGH also increases blood levels of the insulin-growth factor 1 (IGF-1) in those who drink it. And higher levels of IGF-1 are linked to several cancers.
If anything is linked to cancer, shouldn’t that be an indicator t stop consuming it? Well, in this day and age, red flags tend to be ignored due to a person’s own ignorant needs and wants. The most used excuse is because it tastes good, no matter any side effects. Did you know that 65% of people are lactose intolerant, and either don’t know or don’t care? This is especially important to know if you are a creative, due to increased stomach pains and frequent constipation. This leads to endless amounts of time in bed or on the toilet, coming from someone with experience.
When I was younger, I stayed constipated to the point that I would rather die than to live through that pain and it only got worse as I got older. When I gave up dairy, that pain and constipation ceased to exist, leaving my mind free to be creative and not worry about stomach pains or how long to expect to be in the bathroom.
Here are 10 reasons to quit dairy:
- Ruins Skin– Milk is pro-inflammatory, meaning it’s making your acne situation worse. If you aren’t already dealing with acne, milk is possibly causing a problem. Consuming dairy is also making your skin produce more sebum (the growth factor betacellulin binds to Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor triggering follicles to amp up the sebum production) which is clogging your pores and messing up your complexion. Milk contains ample amounts of a hormone called IGF-1 that is making your acne spread and swell. Dairy has even been linked to exacerbating eczema symptoms. Yikes.
- Accelerates Aging– Even the naturally occurring hormones in milk are aging you–god only knows what the additives are doing. We know that sugar can cause wrinkles, well uh lactose is just sugar. Do the math. By eating dairy you are giving yourself acne and aging your skin rapidly. Since you can still get calcium from leafy greens, why absorb creepy cow hormones into your blood stream in the name of strong bones?
- Allergic Reactions– Dairy allergy is one of the most common food allergies. Around 12% of the US population is lactose intolerant. Whey and Casein are the most common allergies in children. Some think that these sensitivities wax and wane with age–you might get used to whey and casein as you age, but you might stop making the enzymes that breakdown lactose. Regardless, gastrointestinal distress due to dairy consumption is not an unusual affliction.
- It’s Processed– Should we be considering a product that is pasteurized, homogenized, fed anti biotics and shot up with hormones a whole food? Probably not, even if it’s “all natural” or “organic.” Am I the only person horrified that one sip of milk can contain the fluid from more than one cow?
- Making You Fat– We’re constantly being told not to drink our calories, but at the same time we are pressured to drink milk. Even non-fat or low-fat milk are calorically dense–just a glass of milk here and there can add hundreds of calories to your diet. Oh, and milk causes an insulin spike after consumption (this is also linked to reason #1).
- Making You Sick– There’s evidence supporting the possibility that animal fat causes cancer. Studies also show dairy is related to diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, colic, heart disease, asthma, lymphoma, ovarian cancer and multiple sclerosis. The the milk lobby will tell you those are just anti-milk lobby implications.
- Full of Pus– Milking practices are cruel and unsettling. A beautiful milkmaid gently massaging Bessie’s udders isn’t collecting pure milk into glass jugs, instead, violent robots are tugging at cows and collecting vats of milk, scabs, pus and tears. In 2003 researchers found 298 million pus cells in a liter of California cow’s milk. Watch this gruesome video of dairy cows being mistreated–if you can stomach it. I’ve seen worse and I’m not even big on vegan propaganda.
- Hormones, Antibiotics and Misleading “Organic” Labeling– Currently, companies do not have to tell you if they treat their cows with recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH). Cows treated with rBGH are more likely to suffer from mastitis and in turn be given antibiotics. Even scarier, just because something is labeled something is “organic” it might not be the case. That could just mean they are fed organic feed (grass fed is still better) but are still being pumped up with hormones and antibiotics or just one or just the other.
- Bad for the Environment + Poor Cows– Cows and their gas and that whole industry are detrimental to the environment. Cows are not supposed to be in this part of the world. As for feeling sorry for the animals, I went to YouTube and searched for “cow abuse” and now I am bummed out.
- General Discomfort– Even those who don’t have dairy intolerance or allergies can experience bloating, constipation and reflux. Dairy is hard on the GI tract, plus it can worsen sinus problems, migraines and joint pain.
“Not only is excessive protein consumption linked to a dramatic rise in cancer mortality, but middle-aged people who eat lots of proteins from animal sources — including meat, milk and cheese — are also more susceptible to early death in general…”
Do I really need to explain what this does to a creative mind? I mean you can’t be a creative if you’re dead. At many parties you see appetizers or snacks that’s mainly meat and cheese. Of course, you dive in because it looks good and you know it tastes good. I used to be one of those people. Let me tell you, the stomachache later was not worth the indulgence. Many Americans consume meat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, as well as snacks (i.e. beef jerky and cheese, pork rinds, “lunch meat” which I am convinced is not even real meat). Do you know how much salt you are consuming eating that much meat in a day?
According to the FDA, on average Americans are consuming 3,300 mg of salt per day. Do you know what foods that are causing such high levels in sodium?
- breads and rolls – which we eat with everything. Switch out your normal bread with low sodium sprouted bread like Ezekiel or Genesis bread.
- luncheon meat, such as deli ham or turkey – like I said before, I don’t event think it’s real meat anyway.
- pizza – try making your own pizza with low sodium crust, sauce and ingredients. Try meat and cheese alternatives.
- poultry, fresh and processed—(Much of the raw chicken bought from a store has been injected with a sodium solution.) – just eliminate meat altogether
- soups – make your own or buy low sodium
- cheeseburgers and other sandwiches – use alternative meats or eliminate these altogether
- cheese, natural and processed – there is no such thing as natural cheese, given how it is made
- pasta dishes – use rice noodles
- meat dishes, such as meat loaf with gravy – replace the ground beef in meat loaf with black beans, lentils or even quinoa
- savory snack foods, such as potato chips, pretzels and popcorn – buy unsalted, kettle cooked or buy things like kale chips and seaweed.
You may be thinking this is a lot to take in and what does it have to do with being a creative. When you eat foods that are natural, nutrient and vitamin rich, and are grown from the ground, your body performs better, mentally and physically. When your body is overridden with antibiotics and other toxins and chemicals from consuming animal products, it tends to effect your thinking process. When you are experiencing ample amounts of discomfort, are you able to think of a topic for your blog or YouTube channel? Odds are, you’re not.
Here’s some food for thought: eat green and produce organic thoughts.