Click here for my juice and smoothie recipe e-book!
The recommended serving of fruits and veggies is five. Five? Doesn’t that seem rather low for foods that pack lots of nutrients and vitamins? What’s funny is the food pyramid says to choose five fruits OR veggies, instead of AND. It also says to pick five fruits or veggies, but not how much of each. So what, two apples and three carrot sticks? Three leaves of kale and two grapes? You see my point here?
As you can see that meat is higher up on the food chain and it should be only eaten twice a day. If that is so, why do people eat it for every meal, between three and five times a day? It’s funny how dairy is at the bottom of the pyramid as you should eat more of it than you do fruits or veggies. For reasons not to consume dairy, click here.
Here’s some facts on why you should consume more fruits and veggies:
- They are easier for those who are on-the-go. Granted you properly clean them right after you buy them and store them in the fridge or in a basket, they are easy to pack. You can just grab whichever ones and go.
- They make for great snacks, compared to chips, cookies, candy, etc. Most times people grab for the chips or any other unhealthy snacks because that is what is closest to them, or the only thing they have in the house. Next time you go grocery shopping, don’t buy the junk and instead buy a lot of fruits and veggies. You will notice the difference in how you feel.
- They are okay to eat in numerous amounts. Have you ever heard of anyone going to the hospital for eating too many strawberries, or too much kale? No. It’s absurd to event think that. You can eat as much fruit and veggies as you want and nothing will happen to you, other than you may be sitting on the toilet for a while, but that’s never a bad thing.
- You get in the most amount of nutrients and vitamins. I know almost every person in America takes some kind of vitamins for what they are lacking due to their poor diet. Many people don’t even consume the recommended amount of fruits and veggies a day because they feel that they are too expensive. But wouldn’t you rather spend a lot of money on something that will keep you out of the hospital and save you money long term? Think about your priorities.
- They can be used to make anything. Many vegans buy fruits and veggies and make smoothies or juices. There are raw vegans who make all kinds of dishes out of them. Fruits and veggies don’t have to just be fruits and veggies. For example, carrots, peppers, cucumbers and what ever other veggie you want, can be dipped in hummus, which is excellent by the way. I like to dip my apples in nut butter mixed with cinnamon. I think lack of knowledge and creativity are why people don’t consume a lot of fruits and veggies.
- They are natural energy boosters, especially citrus fruits and leafy greens. They are packed with so many vitamins such as C and A as well as fiber to keep you regular, and protein essential amino acids that your body needs. With that being said, drop the coffee and donuts, and grab some citrus fruits and leafy greens.
- Having a rainbow (green, red, orange, yellow, blue and purple) plate of fruits and/or veggies, makes it more appetizing. For example, nutritionists recommend having every color of the rainbow on your plate. Not only is this for nutrient reasons but also because it looks more appetizing. If you have a pretty plate, you are more inclined to eat it. Eating by color will also lower your blood pressure and bad LDL cholesterol. This too can help you lose weight.
- Last but not least, they just taste good. I know many fruits and veggies I didn’t eat before I became vegan, I can’t get enough of now.
When you have a healthy body by feeding it live food (meat is not live when it gets to the store and then on your plate), you are producing a healthy mind. How can you think straight if your body is acting against you?